Wednesday, July 1, 2015

What's Happening at Book Readers Heaven...



The following video I found is of Kate Smith introducing God Bless America. You know, I always felt that this would have been a much better anthem for our country...I wonder what "today" would be if that had been the choice--would we have been singing God Bless America at the beginning of national and athletic events? Would prayer ever have been removed from school? Would the bureaucracy related to separation of Church and State be as convoluted as to not permit prayer in school but still have it at the beginning of many national events--and other similar incongruities in deciding which is right or wrong such as what kind of Christmas decorations are to be used? Would we have the hate festering and exploding on the streets of America as it is today? Have we replaced God with symbols--a flag, an eagle--without God to be thankful for these symbols and our lives...

Just my thoughts, of course...

July always brings memories closer of my mother, Dorothy Ellenberger Bixler, whose birthday was July 2, tomorrow... Many times, during the past, we would celebrate her birthday along with a July 4th picnic...normally in our back yard, of the home that is still in the family in a small village called New Geneva...

If you've heard of it, you probably have visited "the mansion" or better known as the home of Albert Gallatin, former Secretary of Treasury under Thomas Jefferson and Madison, at the Friendship Hill National Historic Site...


Learn more about it at http://www.nps.gov/frhi/index.htm

While I was living within walking distance of the Mansion, it was a private home and my aunt, Maribel, worked there for many years... When, before she died, Ruby Moon-Houldson, one of my favorite authors, visited me a number of years ago, we went to tour the building and I told her about the ghosts on the top floor...We each broke off a flower from one of the trees to remember our visit...It is hard to think about her being gone, especially through such tragedy.

If you are somewhat of a regular reader of my blog, you will have noticed some lapses, or changes of posting days, have started...I was publishing five days each week and skipping most weekends; however, personal issues have forced me to work in a "scheduled" fashion--scheduled by somebody else, that is...

I've been visiting doctors, getting tests, etc. I was originally scheduled for a foot surgery this week, but that had to be pushed back until I've been cleared by my physician's office--which means more tests... I'm now waiting daily to be inserted into the Hospital's schedule for this test so...what this all boils down to is that, with the better weather, I'm trying to get things done before the next winter period strikes! Of course, for reading and reviewing, those months are better to get more done, but I've been neglecting too many things--like taking my car to get it inspected...Oh well, enough of that!

I hope you've been enjoying learning about my recently read books as much as I have...Next is When a Drone Strikes by Alex Castillo... I've selected it as one of my favorites for this year...It came just at the right time for me, since everything that has been demanding my attention set me back into flashbacks and nightmares... No, not like those of soldiers with PTSD, but they can still be debilitating for me. I loved the main female character and, in advance, thank Alex Castillo for her wonderful book...Be sure to read my review, tomorrow, hopefully...







One final note re books/reviews. Many authors are inviting people to enjoy their free book offers, most times mentioning their hope for a review...I have hundreds of kindle books that have been received in that way...I do hope I can get to some of those, but, those individuals who actually provide me with a print copy will continue to be given priority. 

I know electronic books is the latest and greatest, but I also know that an electronic copy does not really cost anybody anything. It is only when it is sold that the author gets anything back for their hard work.

So when an author is willing to provide me with a solid book that they have had to pay for in some way, forgive me, but I think they are owed more consideration for that cost to them, or their publisher. Bottom line, I can pass on a paperback to charitable organizations to be read by others... In my opinion, there is no way to reuse or pass on ebooks legally since it opens the way for pirating...by those who would do it... Any thoughts on my opinions in decision-making are welcome. I am always open to new options to think about...

God Bless,
Glenda

No comments:

Post a Comment