Monday, February 13, 2012

Time Travel Romance Merges with Paranormal for Wonderful Tale...

English: Caerlaverock Castle Romantic scottish...Image via Wikipedia
The year is 1602 when Neil and Mora return to Scotland,
along with Fergus who at the last minute had chosen to jump
through the time portal as well...and thankfully he did because
he had brought his gadgets and had already saved Neil's life
once! Now they were on their way to the castle of The
MacDonald. Their research and Neil's memories were fast
 coming as he came closer and closer to where Naill was
imprisoned. In fact, Neil was taking on all of the pain and
suffering, need for food and water that Naill was experiencing!

Somewhere My Lass


By Beth Tressel






I enjoy the paranormal and Tressel brings in much to like! Not only do we have time travel, but a number of psychics to add to the fun! Of course, it might also have been just a bit of magic from the ancient Celtics?


Our main character, from the past, is Mora Campbell, who is found at the scene of the murder of the housekeeper for Neil MacKenzie. The problem, of course, is who is she, where did she come from, and why is she dressed in clothes that are clearly from another country and from long ago...




When Mora awakens she identifies herself as Neil's betrothed! Although she calls him Niall... and says that she was chased there by The MacDonald! In the meantime, Neil and everybody else thinks she has been hurt during the chase and is apparently the relative of his housekeeper they had been expecting...

However, as Mora shares about her life, Neil begins to pick up memories nudged by what she tells him about their relationship--that they were to marry, but he had disappeared and now she was to marry his younger brother...

Neil's friend and business partner Fergus is one of the most likable characters...he's a brilliant nerd that uses all things electronic...never leaving his home, using lighting to create night skies to sleep under and all the electronic gadgets that can possibly be used for "some" reason. Mora, of course, thinks he's a magician. It is his mother that is psychic and helps them locate "the portal"

The well-written fantasy is almost a fairy tale; merging the present together with the past in a seamless movement, using what they had brought from the present to help Mora be reunited to Naill in 1602...

Of course that meant that if history was changed, then Neil of the present would no longer exist!

There really wasn't any choice...by that time, Neil loved Mora and would do anything to make her happy...
Tressel gives us a dangerous adventure, suspense, a little Fergus humor, but most of all provides a story of unending love that does last... But wait!?! What about The MacDonald?!

I thoroughly enjoyed this story! Surely romance lovers will find it a wonderful way to spend the weekend! Highly
recommended!

GABixlerReviews



 About BethBeth Trissel

I’m a historical/light paranormal romance author with the Wild Rose Press. I have seven releases out with more to follow. Married to my high school sweetheart, I live on a farm in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley with children and multiple animals. The rich history of Virginia and the people who journeyed here from far beyond her borders are at the heart of my inspiration.
My fascination with Colonial America, particularly stirring tales of the frontier and the Shawnee Indians, is an early and abiding one. My English, Scot-Irish ancestors had interactions with this tribe, including family members taken captive. These accounts inspired my passion. Intrigued with all things Celtic, much of my writing features these early Scot-Irish forebears who settled in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and surrounding mountains, spreading into Tennessee and the Carolinas.

This absorption with Colonial America also extends to the high drama of the Revolution. My ancestors fought and loved on both sides of that sweeping conflict. My research into the Southern face of the war was partly inspired by my great-great-great grandfather, Sam Houston, uncle of the famous Sam, who kept a journal of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, North Carolina, 1781, that is used by historians today.

Moreover, I am ever intrigued by ghost stories, and Virginia has more tales than any other state. I find myself asking if the folk who’ve gone before us are truly gone, or do some still have unfinished business in this realm? And what of the young lovers whose time was tragically cut short, do they somehow find a way? Love conquers all, so I answer ‘yes.’ 
Thus began my ‘Somewhere’ series. In book two of that series, Somewhere My Lass, I journeyed back to 1602 Scotland and more deeply explored my Scottish roots.  In Red Bird’s Song (out fall of 2010) I honed in on my early American roots in a story featuring the Scots-Irish and an Indian attack that happened to my ancestors in the colonial Virginia frontier.  More recently, I ventured back into my British ancestry with my first historical set in England, Into the Lion’s Heart.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I am at work on the sequel to Somewhere My Lass, and you may well guess which character I'm featuring. :)
    Fergus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you've definitely hooked me in with this review.

    ReplyDelete